Monday, March 23, 2015

Cactus and Succulents in Cleveland

Clivia





I went to the Cleveland Botanical Garden on Saturday for the Midwest Cactus and Succulent show and sale. I'd never been to the garden before and was excited to go.  So, I jumped in the car and three hours later, I arrived. I was greeted by the Spring Show, which I wrote about here. I immediately headed for the cactus and succulent show room. On the way, I passed this gorgeous Clivia











This Lewisia greeted me as I entered the show. I love orange! 





Of course, I headed to the sale room first! I tried to stay away, but the prices were so reasonable and the plants so tempting!!!!












 


















The best part of the show and sale, though, is the show. Members of the Midwest society bring in their prize plants to show us how they should look when grown very well. All the plants were perfect! This display above was one man's caudex (swollen stem) forming Pacypodiums.  As they rest in the winter, and lose their leaves, they were pretty bare for the show. Now that Spring has arrived, the leaves will show up soon. 

Mammallaria hahniana









I love this hairy Mammallaria hahniana! Wow, is it amazing!
One could almost pet it if you didn't know that under all that hair are spines.















Here is another Mammillaria. The yellow middles of these globe shaped plants make it more interesting









Gasterias
This member above collects Gasterias.

Aloe 'Rooikappie'
Once again, some orange flowers on this Aloe above, caught my attention. The sign said the name "Rooikappie' means 'Little Red Riding Hood'.


Aloe 'DZ'










 The new Aloe hybrids are very hot right now. They come out with new ones all the time.Who wouldn't like the red and pink warty growths on these plants? They are so unique!









Aloe 'Christmas Carol'
























Aloe 'Viper'























 










How cool are the spines on this Astrophytum? The picture below is a close up of the spines.







Astorphytum capricorne




















Cactus collection












Sansevieria pinguicula





































Beverly Dahms had an amazing collection of Sansevierias, some of my favorite plants. 



Sansevieria caniculata dwarf




























Echeveria 'Frank Reinelt'

I couldn't believe the size of this Echeveria above. It was huge and so red. Remember, to get the color on your succulents, they need to be in a very bright light. If they are in shade, they will be all green or at the very least a much lighter color. Sometimes it is hard to achieve these bright reds without a greenhouse.
I will leave you with this amazing succulent filled head planter. If you would like to see more pictures of this show, go to my Pinterest page here.
To find out more about the society, find their website here. I hope this has encouraged you to start growing some cactus and succulents if you don't already.

Mixed succulent head planter

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos! The Cleveland Botanical Garden is definitely a treasure! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete