Monday, October 6, 2014

Awesome Orchid!

What makes this orchid awesome? The fact that it blooms every year for me and I really do nothing other than water it. The picture below is from today.

Dendrobium hsinying cruenzuki  October 6, 2014


The next two pictures are from late March 2013. It did bloom this spring, as well, with multiple flowers and this one flower is just a bonus this fall. When I bought this plant, I never dreamed it would be so easy to take care of. This is one of the  first orchids I ever purchased and I'm sure I assumed it would never bloom again. I had heard how hard it is to take care of orchids. Well, this one must be the exception, because I really am not doing much. 
Dendrobiums are epiphytes, so I know it needs good drainage. It is potted in bark and I've repotted it once in the years I've had it. It is in the West window with no blockages outside, so it likes bright light. I water it  once a week when I soak my miniature orchids and it gets a diluted fertilizer a lot of the time when I water. It is over the sink so it loves the extra humidity.  Since it blooms every year, I can assume it is a happy plant and I'm giving it what it needs.  When you go to the orchid shows, try a Dendrobium. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.


Dendrobium hsinying cruenzuki  March 2013


Dendrobium hsinying cruenzuki

No comments:

Post a Comment