Friday, February 14, 2014

Houseplant Homes

Bunco prize
I have a lot of houseplants. Big suprise, right? So, consequently, I have a lot of houseplant containers as well. I usually use green pots, but sometimes I like to decorate my own. The container above is one I make quite often and this month I made these for my bunco prizes. 



It was February so I definitely had to paint hearts. I also added a verse as this was my church bunco group. My gift theme was plants and so this was my verse:

Jeremiah 17:7-8

New International Version (NIV)
“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
    whose confidence is in him.
They will be like a tree planted by the water
    that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
    its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
    and never fails to bear fruit.”

I added a little extra something with these painted stakes made from knives I purchased at the Salvation Army, which I call plant jewelry.









































Here are a couple more pots I painted. One I made with buttons and the other with stamps called Design Presses that I've had for years.

Button flowers
Pansies-my favorite
















































The key to painting clay pots is sealing the inside of the pot. I simply use Modge Podge for the sealant and acrylic paints for the decorating. I seal the inside and when I'm done painting the outside, I seal that as well. The buttons were glued on with E-600 glue. I painted pots like these for teacher gifts many years ago. After spending a lot of time painting them and then planting them up with pansies, I watered them. The next morning the paint was bubbling off the pot. Clay pots are porous and so the water seeped through the pot and pushed the paint right off. I was so upset. Needless to say, the teachers did not get hand made gifts for the last day of school.
So next time you decide to re-pot some houseplants, decorate your own pots or at the very least, paint them a color which matches your decor. This is something kids would love to do also. Have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment