Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Marmalade Bush

Marmalade bush-Streptosolen jamesonii
I had seen this plant in Logee's catalog and wanted it. I never ordered it, and so had never seen a real one. Then, last Spring, I went to Hidden Lake Gardens and there it was. It's gorgeous!
Streptosolen jamesonii is from South America and has a spreading habit. It is evergreen and can grow up to 6' across. The flowers start out a yellow orange and then turn a deep orange with age, so the flowers have a multi-colored look, thus the name marmalade. It grows best in full sun to part shade.



The name streptosolen comes from the Greek words "streptos" for twisted, and "solon" for tube shaped, describing its 1" long tubular flowers. In its native habitat, hummingbirds and butterflies love it. I think I need to find this and grow it. I love orange flowers!









No comments:

Post a Comment