Friday, January 30, 2015

Euphorbia neohumbertii

Euphorbia neohumbertii at Matthaei Botanical Garden in Ann Arbor, MI
Euphorbia neohumbertii at Garfield Park conservatory in Chicago
It is no secret that I love Euphorbias of all types. These pictures are of the Euphorbia neohumbertii, native to Madagascar. It grows leaves on the top of the stem and when they drop a very prominent scar is left on the stem. The stem is 4 sided. This Euphorbia loses the leaves in the winter and go into a type of dormancy.  In the spring, the stem is topped with scarlet flowers tipped in yellow. The pictures at Matthaei were taken in March. I wrote about a few other varieties of Euphorbia here.  
Once again, I'm going to point out that you never know what you'll find at your local conservatory. Visit one today, and let me know what amazing plant you find.

Euphorbia neohumbertii

Euphorbia neohumbertii

2 comments:

  1. I ordered a baby one of these from ebay but it quickly died, I was very disappointed cause I usually do great with succulent euphorbias... I probably won't try again but I still love these, it's very different looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't have any luck with this plant. I''ve only ever seen one in the conservatory. It is an amazing plant! I say try again.

    ReplyDelete